In this video tutorial you’ll find a detailed guide to the enrolment procedure for Erasmus incoming students at the University of Pisa.


As soon as you are nominated by your University, make sure to get in touch with the Italian International Erasmus Coordinator (CAI, Coordinatore di Area per l’Internazionalizzazione) to find out what courses are provided by the Department of Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry. Please note that most of the courses are held in Italian. However, lecturers are available to use slides and/or to provide material/books in English to help foreigner incoming students, as well as agree with them to sat the final exam in English.
The CAI can be contacted for details and assistance in preparing the Learning Agreement (LA) and learning about all of the administrative steps necessary to start the mobility.
While you are still abroad you can register online through the Alice portal, in order to obtain the credentials required to complete the enrolment procedure at the University of Pisa.
Remember to fill in on the Erasmus Mobility Platform and submit the Application form for incoming students where you will be asked to upload the Learning Agreement before the mobility and obtain the validation from the CAI

In order to be as prepared as possible for this new experience, please keep in mind a few logistical aspects:

Accommodation: Check useful information about finding accommodation. We strongly recommend you to start with your apartment search as soon as you can.
Visa and residency permit: Compulsory steps if you are an incoming Non-EU Erasmus student
Entry and residency rights for EU citizens
Cost of living: although living in Pisa can be quite cheap, please keep in mind that living costs  is greater than the regular monthly stipend received by the Erasmus program
Insurance: learn how the health system works in Italy and what steps you need to follow before your departure
Opening a Bank account: find out if your bank at home has a branch in Italy or any agreements with an Italian bank in Pisa

Please make sure to read the International Student Guide with a summary on each of these aspects.

For more useful information, please go to the following link where you will learn more about living in Pisa.
International Student Guide
Guides for International Students

A few days (no more than a couple of weeks) before your arrival, you must register, if you haven’t done it yet, at the Alice portal, (the online student services portal) and perform the Registration. Once completed it, you must make an appointment with WIS! office (Welcome International Students) in Pisa, Via Buonarroti 4 – Building E, room PS1).
Make sure to choose a day that you will be in Pisa and SAVE THE DATE!
After you register at the WIS! Office, you will receive your University Booklet (libretto), a matriculation number, your student card and the credentials to gain access to the Wi-Fi and other services (university canteen, libraries etc.).
If you are an incoming Non-EU Erasmus student, coming from a non-Schengen Country, you must apply for the Residency permit. You need the post office receipt attesting the submission of the Residency permit application, before making an appointment (next step). On the other hand, if you are a Non-EU Erasmus student, coming from a Schengen Country, you do not have to apply for the Italian residency permit provided you have the requested documents indicated at

How do I get an Italian tax code (Codice Fiscale)?
The Italian Tax Code (codice fiscale), which you will need to rent an apartment or to obtain an Italian phone card or anything else, is automatically generated when you subscribe to the Alice Portal.
Since the code is automatically generated, you will have to be extremely careful while filling the form.
However, in order to obtain your official Tax Code Card you will need go to the local Italian tax authority (Agenzia delle entrate) with a valid ID.
Info and contacts:
Italian tax authority (Agenzia delle entrate) – Via Matteucci, 34
Galleria G.B. Gerace, 7/15 (Centro Forum) – 56124 Pisa
Tel. +39 050 325472 Fax +39 050 3154823 email: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo.
Opening hours: Monday to Friday: 8:30 to 12:45; Tuesday and Thursday: 14:20 to 16:45
See also

How do I get a Doctor?
Health care assistance is available to all European citizens (belonging to EU Member States and EEA States) who have the EHIC/TEAM card (European Health Insurance Card) or who enroll in the Italian National Health Service. With your EHIC/TEAM card you can choose a G.P. (General practitioner) and get medical assistance during your stay.

How is the university system organized?
The Italian University System is divided into Laurea Triennale "LT" (Bachelor Degree) and Laurea Magistrale "LM" (Master Degree).

When do the semesters start?
Courses of the winter term start in the last week of September and finish in the third week of December; those of the spring term start by mid February and finish by the end of May. The didactic calendar is available here.

How is the Department of Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry of the University of Pisa organized?
Our department offers the following degree courses. Each Laurea Magistrale (LM) Course (Master Degree) is divided in curricula as shown below:

 Laurea Triennale - "LT"
(Bachelor Degree)

Laurea Magistrale - "LM"
(Master Degree)

Chimica [CHI-L] (Chemistry) Chimica [WCH-LM] (Chemistry)

- Chimica Analitica (Analytical Chemistry)
- Chimica Fisica (Physical Chemistry)
- Chimica Inorganica (Inorganic Chemistry)
- Chimica Organica (Organic Chemistry)

Chimica per l’Industria e l’Ambiente [STC-L]
(Chemistry for Industry and Environment)

Chimica Industriale [WCI-LM] (Industrial Chemistry)

- Industriale (Industrial)
- Materiali (Materials)


Which modules can I choose?
You are free to choose your courses from any subject taught at the Department of Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry (DCCI) and up to two of those taught in other Bachelor’s or Master’s degrees of the University of Pisa.
Carefully check the language skills needed, in case of help you can ask the CAI.

Where do I find the programmes of the modules?
To find out the syllabus for a specific course, please check here.
The syllabus in English does not mean the course will be held in English.
We advise you to contact the course’s lecturer in order to decide (if possible) a special exam modality.

How are the exams organized?
You should speak directly with the lecturer of the course. To sit an exam you must sign in online at the portal you can find here. According to the Italian University Grading System your performance will be evaluated on the basis of 30 points. When the student’s performance is considered outstanding, a laude can be added by the commission, whereas the minimum passing grade is 18/30. It’ll be recorded on your on-line student portal and on your libretto . If you don’t pass the exam, this cannot be recorded, but you can ask the lecturer for a certificate of attendance.

Does the university offer Italian courses?
Yes and they can be found at the Centro Linguistico Dipartimentale (CLI), the University Language Centre. It offers free Italian lessons for all incoming students in order to help them achieving the CEFR B2 level. The courses provides 4 ECTS. The first course (40 hours) is free. In order to enroll in one of the free Italian language courses, all students – including beginners – are required to take an entry test, so you need to register online.
CLI offers courses up to the C1 level. Here you will find all the information and deadlines. If you are a non EU student, you must have a residency permit.

LA before: when you arrive in Pisa, you need to get your LA signed by the Department’s CAI. Please send it to Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo. You will be then contacted once the LA has been signed.
LA during: should you want to amend your Learning Agreement as long as the Erasmus Office of your home University approves your changes, you can do it.
LA after: Before you leave Pisa, in addition to your certificate of departure, the CAI will also sign your L.A. with all the exams you sat and the modules you attended.

Before you leave you may need a signed certificate of departure, or at least an official document which indicates your arrival and departure date. If your home institution does not expressly require a departure certificate, the A section of the Learning Agreement after the mobility will be enough.
Both the departure certificate (if available) and the LA must be signed and sealed by the CAI or vice CAI, so please get in touch with them at least one week before your departure in order to schedule an appointment.
Your Transcript of Records (ToR) will be either issued or sent to you by e-mail within 5 weeks after your departure. The ToR is issued by the officers at Erasmus Office or directly by coordinators.
In your final visit to the CAI’s office, you will also have to bring your libretto (that you will hand back) and any certificate from the CLI.
If you have problems in scheduling your appointment, inform the Erasmus staff.

The internationalization activities at the Department of Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry of the University of Pisa
Via G. Moruzzi, 13 - Pisa, Italy
Admin LogIn | Privacy Policy | Web Dcci
FOLLOW US on Instagram
logo instagram transparen

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience

Cookies sent by this website are not used for profiling visitors or obtaining users’ personal information